<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Don't Ask 

Lately there have been a ton of commercials on TV for Ask.com. Why? Anytime I've ever gone there and asked a question, it never gives me a satisfactory answer. They seemed to have at least improved the results page formatting. But answers? Not to my questions. Disappointing.

To their credit though, Google gave me similar results to my latest query: "Why is potato bread yellow?" (Anyone know? Maybe I should have asked why commercial bread makers add food coloring to make the potato bread yellow. Could be all in the wording.)

Comments:
It seems some sites mentioning potato bread call the color 'golden' which may be one factor. Most likely, nobody ever wrote a comprehensive explanation that uses this phrase. Since the search engines can only match certain phrases or words that are likely to indicate a question or definition (just like Google's "define:" looks for certain keywords in close proximity to the term you try to define.

As for its color, my guess is the yellow color stems from the potatoes used in the bread. In the case of artificial or commercial bread, additives are probably used so the bread looks more like the potato bread people expect (i.e. yellow). http://southerncuisine.suite101.com/article.cfm/sweet_potato_bread_recipe explains how sweet potato bread gets its color from using sweet potatoes.
 
Post a Comment






Find anything at Amazon.com!                 I won $50 in a Pogo Drawing! You can win real money playing fun games at Pogo.com!        

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?